Benefits from the practice:
- Reshapes your body
- Restores flexibility
- Tones, strengthens, and lengthens your muscles
- Strengthens your spine
- Improves circulation
- Reduces risk of sports injury
- Achieves relief from pain
- Reduces your weight – lose pounds by balancing your metabolism
- Raises energy level
- Diminishes the effects of stress
- Increases balance, coordination, focus and discipline
- Clears your mind
- Calms your soul
- Ensures healthy and balanced functioning of the skeletal, muscular, circulatory, nervous, digestive, elimination, respiratory, endocrine, and mental systems of the body
Benefits from the heat:
- Warms the muscles for greater flexibility
- Helps achieve a deeper stretch
- Flushes toxins from the body
- Improves efficiency of the immune system
- Creates a cardiovascular workout
- Burns calories
- Builds endurance
- Consider being prompt as part of your practice. We start class on time.
- Remember to properly hydrate. Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Have clean feet and be perfume and lotion free.
- No watches, cell phones or pagers in the hot room.
- Have Fun!
- Dress in cool, comfortable clothing.
- Put your towel down on top of your mat. No hand towels needed.
- Do your very best to stay in the yoga room for the entire class. Check with the teacher if you feel you need to leave.
- Bring only bottled water into class with you.
- Practice stillness between the postures.
- Remember to breathe!
- Observe silence during final savasana.
- Leave the room quietly, being respectful of others.
- Be mindful of the time. We open the studio 30 minutes before and close 30 minutes after each class.
- Enjoy how your mind and your body feel, and make the commitment to come back tomorrow.
Frequently Asked Questions and Concerns:
I’ve never tried yoga, how will I do?
You will be great! The most important thing is to try remember to breathe, try as best you can, and you will get 100% benefit. Bring a well-hydrated body and a mat, towel and water — you may rent items at the studio as well.
I’m too stiff to practice yoga!
A stiff body is the most common misconception about why not to practice yoga, and one of the best reasons to get into a Bikram Yoga class. All the postures are beginning postures and you do not need to be flexible to practice them. As you practice you will build strength which will, in turn, help you develop flexibility. It doesn’t matter where you are starting from — you will improve!
Why the Heat?
Bikram’s Yoga is practiced in a heated room to promote cellular metabolism, detoxification, and suppleness of the muscular system, providing a greater level of safety when doing the poses. In other words, the body can move (and heal) when it is warm!